My degree is in Advertising/Marketing and during my brief stint in the marketing world before staying home with my new baby, I was able to manage a website, blog, etc for the company I worked for. Here are the TOP ways I found to increase traffic:
- WRITE GOOD CONTENT. First and foremost, the content one your website needs to be relevant, informative and useful. I always say, "If the content is good, they will come," (Field of Dreams fans out there?) and I truly believe those words.
- FRESH CONTENT. Consistently updating your website with new and fresh content will keep Google's spiders searching and linking to your site. If you have a website that doesn't need continual updating, this is where a blog comes in handy! Start up a blog and link keywords back to your homepage.
- SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION (SEO). Incorporate SEO into your content to be better picked up by search engines. If you want people to Google "dinosaurs" and pull up your website, you better have the word dinosaurs incorporated into your content and back linked to your main site.
- LINK, LINK, LINK. Link your website with other websites. If you're a blogger, try to be featured on another blog. You can also join in on linky parties if that's your thing, just remember, that good quality links are much more important than the quantity of links. Tons of poor quality links can actually hurt you in SEO rankings. (I actually stopped linking to linky parties for this exact reason!)
- WRITE ARTICLES. Write articles for specialty websites and link keywords in your article back to your main site. For example, if you are a chiropractor and want more traffic to your website, find an online chiropractor information website and request to write an article for them. Most likely they will jump at the chance for new content on their website!