The recipe is from Taste of Home and I have linked to their website as well as posted it below. My comments are in bold.
Slice 'n' Bake Lemon Gems
by Taste of Home
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup colored nonpareils (I didn't use sprinkles)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (Used the lemon juice from the leftover peeled lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in lemon peel. Combine flour and cornstarch; (I got to this part and realized I didn't have any cornstarch! If this happens to you, don't worry. You can substitute flour instead, you'll just need to double it. So since here it calls for 1/2 cup cornstarch, just add a cup of flour. This should work for any recipe and it should taste the same.) gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into a 1-3/4-in.-diameter roll; roll in nonpareils. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm. (Since I skipped out on the nonpareils (sprinkles) I skipped this step completely- only refrigerating the dough for an hour...and they still turned our beautifully!)
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices (You can see from the picture, I cut them a little thin my first time, but the thickness really is up to you! My second time making them, I cut them much thicker and enjoyed them more). Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients. Spread over cookies. Yield: 28 cookies.